Wednesday 8 February 2012

Golden Olive Dabbler


I love experimenting with different styles of fly tying and when the chance arises  I like to have a go.
Some times I could spend a  full day  fiddling around with different materials and feathers  trying to come up with something different there are the odd time when it pays off and a lot of times when you say why did you bother , this is the beauty of fly tying we will always keep trying to get that elusive pattern that does the business.
The dabbler is one of those patterns that you can play around with quite a lot as there are so many different  patterns and styles in the tying of them that the fly allows you to do this  as you can add or take away from it .
Dabbler patterns come in many forms everything  from black claret silver pearly the list goes on and on
It is more than likely the most sought after flies  for Lough fishing  and a good dabbler pattern  will more often than not take a nice trout for the angler .
Some time ago I was given a full skin from a Menolistick cock pheasant from a good friend of mine Seanie Kelleher from County Cork we met up at the game fair this year and he duly obliged and what a thing of beauty it was .
The  skin from this bird  was the biggest from a pheasant that I had ever seen and the colours on the feathers where absolutely beautiful with all the different shades I could only admire it and imagine how I was going to put it to good use ,
And as I love to try and experiment with different materials and colours this fell right into my barrow and I could not wait to try and  use some of the feathers from it .
I used one of the body feathers as an under wing with bronze mallard over the top and came up with this creation

No comments:

Post a Comment