Monday 15 October 2012

Emerging sedge


I have been tying flies for many years and during my time as a fly tier I have come up with a few patterns that have given me some fantastic River and Lough fishing.
Some of these patterns are quite straight forward to tie and some have had  a bit more work in them .
I like to tie my river flies as near to realistic as I can and I think I have got this pattern  just right  it is one of my favourite patterns when the sedges come on .
I like experimenting with different styles and  materials there is so much material on the market at the moment that we are spoilt for choice.
One of the materials required for  the fly is flexi body  this is quite easy to use you just cut at an angle to create a tying in point, and wind up the hook shank in overlapping turns this gives a really nice segmented body , The flexi body material is  almost the  same as an elastic band only not as thick , it comes in a huge variety of different colours  and widths , You can create some nice realistic nymphs with it .
This is how the fly sits under the surface of the water the cdc loop wing holds it perfectly in the surface 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jimmy, great looking fly in and out of the water. What's tied underneath flexibly? Tony

    ReplyDelete