Thursday 29 March 2012

Wet Mayfly


It is almost time for the mayfly again and this is a wet pattern which is a favourite of mine when the mayfly come on .
I like to experiment with different colours sometimes you get lucky and come up with a pattern that  gets a few takes and then there are times when nothing happens this is what keeps us at the fly tying vice trying to make that fly that will fool the trout.
This is a  variant of a good pattern  that  I have just added a little  bit extra to without going over the top and I try to keep the tying of the fly as near as possible to the original as I can.
The  pattern that  I have chosen is  the Corrib Grey this is  a very good pattern that has caught its share of fish over the years.
I like to add a touch of orange or red to a lot of the wet patterns that I tie  for both Lough and river, I think it sometimes gives that little bit extra to the fly.
That is all that I have done to this  pattern  just added an extra bit of colour to the fly without over doing it .
I also think that it is important to use good quality hackles in your fly patterns if you can obtain them  I think it will  give an added advantage,  and gives the fly that nice lifelike pulse  when it is being retrieved  through the water hopefully this pattern will get its share of trout this season .

No comments:

Post a Comment